P.M. Narendra Modi launches Beti Bachao, Beti Padhao Scheme
- Modi launched twin programmes of "Beti bachao, beti padhao" and "Sukanya Samriddhi account" in a bid to encourage birth and education of girls and tackle the abysmally low child sex ratio of 919 girls for 1000 boys.
- This is the fourth major scheme of the Union government after the Jan Dhan Yojana, the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan and the Make in India campaign.
- PM launched the two schemes from Panipat in Haryana that has among the lowest child sex ratio in the country (837 girls to 1000 boys)
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has asked the people to save the lives of girl children, and administered them an oath to fight female foeticide and celebrate the birth of girls and educate them.
- He launched the “Sukanya Samruddhi” account scheme, under which accounts could be opened for girls from the time of their birth till their attaining the age of 10. The account can be opened with Rs. 1,000 and Rs. 1.5 lakh deposited in it in a financial year.Mr. Modi said interest income and withdrawals from the scheme had been exempted from tax.
Please save girls, they are special gift of God.
Jhumpa wins DSC Prize for Literature, 2015
- Indian-American author Jhumpa Lahiri won the $ 50,000 for Literature, one of the South Asia's top literary awards for her book, The Lowland.
- The Prize celebrates writing on the South Asian region from writers across the globe and is given to the best novel or translations into English of a work on or about the region.