P.M. Modi sending Foreign Secretary Jaishankar to Pak soon
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi is sending Foreign Secretary Subrahmanyan Jaishankar to Pakistan as part of a regional tour, the first top-ranking visit since Modi broke off talks last year over the disputed region of Kashmir.
- The sign of a thaw((of ice, snow, or another frozen substance, such as food) become liquid or soft as a result of warming up) in ties comes weeks after a visit to India by US President Barack Obama.
- Modi called his Pakistani counterpart, Nawaz Sharif, early on 13th February to wish his country luck in the World Cup cricket tournament beginning this weekend and to tell him that Jaishankar will soon visit Islamabad as well as other regional capitals.
- Modi said in a Twitter post that he called the leaders of Afghanistan, Bangladesh and Sri Lanka, besides Pakistan to wish them luck in the cricket tournament being held in Australia.
Foreign Secretary S. Jaishankar
Forest cover of India up by 5,871 sq.km.
- According to the report of Forest Survey of India, forest cover of India increase by 5,871 sq. km. , West Bengal accounts for nearly 64 % of this rise.
- West Bengal’s forest cover has increased by 3,810 sq km, which is followed by Odisha where increase in forest cover has been 1,444 sq km and Kerala where the increase has been about 622 sq km
- Interestingly States from northeast like Nagaland, Arunanchal Pradesh, Tripura and Manipur, whose forest cover comprises over 75% of the State’s area, have shown a decrease in forest cover.
- The Satellite based remote sensing data that has been used for estimating the change in forest cover has shown that that there has been an increase of 31 sq km of ‘very dense’ forest cover compared to the last assessment carried two years ago.
Swimmers Sajan Prakash (Kerala) and Aakansha Vora (Maharashtra) were adjudged best performers in the men’s and women’s sections in 35th National Games, Kerala.
Swimmer Aakansha Vora